Follow Me!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Amazement and Wonder

When I write I try to come up with something that evokes the feeling of amazement and wonder in my readers. It's something that every young child knows implicitly because everything is new to them. The first time you try ice cream, ride a bike, or run from Godzilla. Children will run around in circles because there are so many new things to see and experience. You hear them say things "Wow", "Weeeeee", and "Mommy I found chocolate on the ground." It's not chocolate.

As an adult it's more difficult to evoke that feeling. Everything has a "been there, done that" feel to it. Some things may make you smile like a fond memory of a good time or an old friend or a good time with an old friend resulting in a walk of shame in the early AM. Worries weigh on our minds and it never seems like we have enough time to stop and smell the flowers. To evoke that feeling of wonder takes something truly magical. The first time I read Jurassic Park evoked that feeling. I'm sure we've all had it at one time or another, but it's not often that you have that sense of awe.

This is why I try to look at everything like it's the first time I am seeing it. You notice new things all the time, wondrous things. A pothole in the road, the song of a bird, the click of a PEZ gun firing, or a new wrinkle on a lover's face that makes them even more beautiful. So how do you extract this feeling and convey it to the reader? It's like trying to flap your arms to hover like a hummingbird while sticking your nose in a flower. I've tried and people told me I looked ridiculous with my arms flailing like that. I'm just happy no one took a picture, but maybe they should have.

With this I challenge you, my friends and fellow writers, to go out and see the world through a child's eyes, filled with wonder and hope. See everything as if for the first time. I would love to hear about your experiences or anything new you notice. The comments section is always open, but for now... *shoots you in the face with a confetti cannon and runs away* WEEEEeeeeee....

No comments: