Follow Me!

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Upgrade Yourself

They say that you shouldn't dress for the job you have, but for the job you want to have. It's really the power of positive thinking. If you look and feel the part then you can convince yourself and others that you belong in that role. For a writer/author that doesn't mean you should always dress in sweatpants and a coffee stained white tanktop.

Think about what you see as being a part of being successful. Then make it happen. For me, I have several things that I want to do to upgrade myself. I am a bit overweight and I would like to fix that, so I am dieting and working out. Soda is getting cut out of my diet, and pushups will be added. I want to project more of a successful and businesslike appearance, so I am going to upgrade my wardrobe. I plan to phase out the polo shirts and jeans in favor of slacks and button up dress-shirts. Day by day I will take small steps towards reaching my goals.

The same thing can be done for your writing as well. It takes patience and hard work just like everything else. I have been editing and editing the Virtual Wars novel that has been in the works for almost two years. Every time I work on it, I realize how much I have grown as a writer. When I go back and read my first stories on Wattpad, I see that they could use a good edit. Everything up there is strictly first draft, so of course it needs an edit. Even though the writing on Wattpad isn't as good as it could be, it is still much better than the first draft of the novel I have been working on. It may take me another year or more to finish the first novel in the Virtual Wars series, but I'm not going to release it until it is done. It won't be done until I can only offer minor improvements.

I am at a crossroads in life just as we all are at times. It is time to make changes in my life to get to where I want to be. The power of positive thinking can show you the way, but you have to take action to make it happen. The time to reach for the stars is always now, and I am going to grab hold of mine any way I can. Where are your stars?

No comments: