Follow Me!

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Writing is rewriting

This is my other favorite mantra of good writing.  There is a lot of writing advice out there that is subjective.  What works for me might not work for you.  However this one works for everyone. In a bit I'll tell you the reasons why I love rewriting.  These are things that I didn't think about until I actually got to this point in my current work.

This past week I worked on rewriting and editing parts of chapter 9 for my current work in progress.  I haven't quite finished with this chapter, but I'm getting close.  I was thinking about splitting it into two chapters. I decided against it because the content takes place on the same day and relates to the content already in chapter 9.  I am trying to keep the length of my chapters short to break up the story into easily managed chunks.  This one could end up being one of the longest in the novel.  I am up to 30 chapters now with my first draft having 25.  Now without further ado...  The reasons I enjoy rewriting.

1.) Pick up the poops.

In some spots I have taken an info dump on my novel.  No one wants to read an info dump!  Like regular bowel movements they are stinky and unwanted. The latest one I wrote about in my last blog post.  This is also a chance to fix all of the spelling and grammar errors too, but I like to leave those tidbits for my editors (teehee). 

2.) Expanding the story

I have a couple of spots where I mention a letter or a conversation that is useful in moving the story along, but I didn't include them in the previous draft.  This is a chance to write them in.  Why I didn't include them before baffles me.  Perhaps ninjas came over for tea, and I simply didn't have time.

3.) Adding new material

This is by far my favorite. Now that I know where my story is going it's a lot easier to think about why some of the characters do what they do.  Also I have gotten a lot of "wouldn't it be cool if.." ideas that I can now implement into the story.  For instance there is an event that takes place in the prologue, and another that takes place towards the end.  There isn't really a direct link between the two, but it is implied.  I now have an idea that will make a direct link.  It also includes assassinations, so that's another level of action/drama.

4.) Plug your holes!

We all love plot holes. It gives us a space to put our newspaper. These can be the most frustrating things to deal with.  How can this character be in two places at once?  Did she steal that thingamajig object from Hermione from Harry Potter?  I haven't noticed anything within my current novel as of yet, but I'm hoping my beta readers will help me out if I miss any of these. 

 


 


No comments: